Transportation Provider to the Garden State
NJ TRANSIT delivers public transportation services in the state of New Jersey, USA, linking to major points in New York and Philadelphia.
How did HASTUS help?
NJ TRANSIT eliminated several inefficiencies and achieved significant cost savings using the Vehicle and CrewOpt automatic blocking and runcutting algorithms in HASTUS.
About NJ Transit
- Third-largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit in the United States
- Nearly 270 million passenger trips each year
- Service area: 5,325 sq. mi. (13,790 km2)
Paid hours per year saved
Buses saved per weekday
Objective: lower costs for same service levels
- Reduce excessive non-driving pay time
- Get all runs as close to 8 hours as possible
- Maintained number of duties of each type (straights, splits, etc.)
- Kept same staffing level
Rolled out at garages serving 20% of network
- Implemented CrewOpt at Big Tree, Hilton and Orange garages
- CrewOpt produces cost-efficient crew schedules that promote regularity and robustness in operations
- Saved nearly 20,000 paid hours per year
- Reduced paid hours by 2% for weekday scheduled service
- Minimized daily vehicle requirements, saving at least two buses per weekday
More to come
- Introduce CrewOpt in other service areas at first three garages
- Implement at other garages
- Expect to save nearly 100,000 paid hours per year for the entire network
We were able to achieve significant budget savings in a tight fiscal climate without making any changes to the actual service that we provide to our customer base!
Alan Maiman, Deputy General Manager, Bus Service Planning,