The GIRO Inc. Documentation Team is seeking a translator from English to German for a 12-month contract position, with a possibility of becoming permanent.
What you will do: Translate various texts connected with the software products designed by GIRO in close collaboration with the company’s technical writers and teams. Teamwork, the variety of tasks and the emphasis on continuous improvement are just some of the aspects that give the Documentation Team a stimulating and exceptional working environment. It may even be just what you need if you’re dreaming of going beyond the usual boundaries of a translation department! If intellectual curiosity, rigour, and mastery of language are your watchwords, read on …
For this position you need to be proficient in Microsoft Word and, ideally, Trados Studio.
Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio and publishing software such as Adobe FrameMaker would be an asset. Occasionally, you will be called on to give various members of the company the benefit of your skills as a linguistic advisor. You will have the benefit of broadening your horizons by getting to know the fields of public transport and computer science – and the language that they use – so that you can do your best work. Finally, you will make a direct contribution to improving the team’s processes, especially by constantly adding to our terminology database.
- Translate and revise the online help for GIRO’s software applications
- Put changes made to the online help into production
- Research and propose the terminology to be used to present different concepts
- Translate and revise the annual update notice describing the new features in GIRO’s products
- Translate, revise and update the user guides for GIRO’s products
- Make screenshots and do formatting and page layouts for the user guides and participate in publishing them
- Provide translation and revision services and act as a linguistic advisor to the different teams in the company
- Keep the team’s terminology database up to date
Planning and teamwork
- Communicate with various members of the company to establish or understand the concepts and terminology in the texts to be translated
- Report on the progress of your work
- Provide estimates of the effort required and the timelines for the tasks to be accomplished
- Mutually support and mentor fellow translators according to each person’s expertise
- University degree in translation
- Minimum 3 years of experience
- Knowledge of Windows®
- Knowledge of Trados Studio and the field of computer science, an asset
- Skills in terminology management and understanding complex concepts
- Ability to communicate with various stakeholders (writers, programmers, analysts)
- Bilingual (German and English)
- Command of French, an asset
GIRO promotes employment equity and offers equal opportunity to all.
We thank all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.